Friday, April 22, 2011

Pumpkin Oatmeal


I always feel rushed in the mornings. This is partially due to my complete inability to drag myself from my warm cozy bed and partially it's due to the fact that there actually is not enough time in the morning. I love having hot breakfast in the morning, but usually due to the time crunch I just grab a banana or a string cheese or something else equally unfulfilling. Due to all my lack or time morning drama I am all about things that I can make in advance and re-heat. That's one of the reasons I love love love this oatmeal; it's warm and soft and pumpkin-y. I love it!
Pumpkin Oatmeal
Adapted from Aarti Party
1 (14-ounce) can pumpkin puree (not Pumpkin Pie filling)
2 cups water
2 cups unsweetened almond milk, or water

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 cups quick cooking oatmeal (I like Bob's Red Mill-Thick Rolled Oats)

1. In a large pot, combine the pumpkin puree, water, milk, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Bring to a boil.
2. Add the oatmeal. Turn the heat down and cook according to the instructions; mine usually takes about 10-15 minutes. Stir often...like really often...otherwise the pumpkin will burn. When the oatmeal is cooked remove from the heat.
3. Divide oatmeal between 5 containers and refrigerate.
4. Reheat in the microwave for 1:30 to 2:00 minutes. Add milk or cream (I love fat-free half & half) and sweetener (I use Splenda, but you could use sugar, honey, or maple syrup) to taste.
5. Enjoy a steaming bowl of yummy pumpkin-y oatmeal.

WW PointsPlus: 4 when plain, 5 with 3Tbsps fat free half and half. 
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment