Sunday, October 17, 2010

Baking Day: Snickerdoodles

Baking is one of my favorite things. I like to bake just because I can and baking is my go to coping mechanism when I'm feeling especially stressed/anxious/nervous. I've actually said to multiple people  "I just feel like I need to bake something." And Sunday is apparently baking day around here. Today's project was pumpkin scones and I also baked calzones for dinner. It's been a day of successful and yummy kitchen projects. But today's blog is actually about last week's Sunday baking say project. Snickerdoodles!! I love snickerdoodles, they're little pillows of awesome. So last week when I was visiting YoungerBrotherGreg baking time became snickerdoodle time.

Snickerdoodles
Original Recipe Here  
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3.5 tablespoons white sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Side Note: I found the sugar/cinnamon mix proportions that I like, you should play with it a little to find what you like best.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla.
 Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
Mix the sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture.
Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Mine were done just right at 8 minutes (crispy around the edges and soft/chewy towards the center.) Remove immediately from baking sheets.
This was a fabulous start of fall baking project. I kept about a half dozen for BFFMandy and I; the rest went to work with YoungerBrotherGreg.
SideNote: I realized when I uploaded the Snickerdoodle pictures that I'm crazy behind on posting about the stuff I'm cooking and eating. It is very likely this week will be all about food. 

=)

No comments:

Post a Comment