Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day

Happy 4th of July!!!

I love Independence Day. I love celebrating the birth of our country and the courage, strength, and bravery of those who fought and still fight for our freedoms. I love listening to Patriotic Music (Hi, John Phillip Sousa!) and wearing red, white, and blue (they're all really good colors for me). I love picnics, fireworks, sparklers, laughter, family time, and I love love love summer picnic food. We're having a new porch/backyard picnic at my parent's today. Brisket, Potato Salad, Baked Beans, Homemade Pie (Peach and Triple Berry) and Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.

Homemade Peach Pie

Homemade Triple Berry Pie
My Mom makes the world's best pie crust. Seriously. I'm not kidding. I know a lot of people claim to have a parent or realitive or friend whose pie crust is the best they've ever had, but they're all big fat liars. I love pie and I've eaten a lot of it in my lifetime and never ever in my whole entire life have I had anyone whose pie crust is as good as my Mom's. Here's her secret: ice cold water and a combination of butter and shortening (ok that's two secrets...whatever)

Mom's Pie Crust
For One Crust- Recipe can be double for a two ceust pie, just keep ratio of fat/flour the same.
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup butter flavor shortening (Crisco!)
Ice water (2-3 Tbsps....and seriously I don't mean cold tap water, I mean put ice in the water)

1. In a large bowl combine flour, butter, and shortening. Using a fork or a pastry cutter blend ingredients until pea size or smaller (no large pieces of butter or shortening should remain unincorporated).
2. Drizzle in water one tablespoon at a time. Toss dough with a fork just until dough is damp enough to hold together.
3. Form into a flat 4-inch disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refridgerate dough at least 30-minutes before rolling.

To roll:
1. Let dough rest at room temperature until still chilled, but not hard. Sprinkle a clean dry surface with flour to coat.
2. Use a rolling pin to roll dough to desired size.
3. Follow your favorite pie recipe baking instructions.



We also made (and my we I mean mostly my Mom, though I did help with the decorating) Ice Cream Cone Cake Pops. We used traditional flat-bottomed cones instead of sugar cones; and the cones are filled with Chocolate Chips and Marshmallow Fluff. Otherwise follow the recipe from Bakerella.com.

I hope everyone has a safe, happy, fun, and good food filled 4th of July!
Happy Independence Day!
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment