I can't believe it's almost June. Seriously y'all wasn't it just New Years? I guess time really does just zoom on by while you're living life. I feel like I haven't really been a blogger that long, so it's funny to look through my files and think how long ago it was. I cooked this way back when I first start the blog (which accounts for the crap photo) with every intention of featuring it as part of 'Meatless Monday', but that never really got off the ground. So here's a hearty, spicy, yum-tastic meal that's perfect for a balmy summer night.
Adapted from A Little Bit Crunchy A Little Bit Rock n' Roll
2 Tablespoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light
1/2 medium onion , diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoons crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
2 Cans black-eyed peas (15oz each), rinsed and drained
2 quarts vegetable stock
28 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
salt and pepper
Cornbread, one batch of your favorite recipe
1. In a large pot heat the butter and add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook until translucent. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, thyme and bay leaves and cook for another minute.
2. Add the black-eyed peas, broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook until the mixture is hot throughout and the beans are tender.
3. Add more broth if needed, but you want this to be the consistency of a thick stew.
4. If the beans are two liquidy, remove the lid to allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
5. Serve beans over crumbled cornbread.
Serves: 4 WW P+: 6 (for beans only)